Wednesday, 16 March 2011

Much more to the man

Of course, there is much, much more to my LOML than his extraordinary practical skills. I always knew without a doubt how important he was (& is) to my life, but in retrospect, I was surprised to find he was actually my backbone, in a sense. I am not up giving my value as a person, or my power as an effective player in this game of life, but realised that much of who I was depended on my amazing relationship with him.

I did not know that at the time since we had been together since my adolescence, but my self-confidence emanated from, & was maintained by this relationship, to a large degree. I felt almost invincible. & I would proffer that had my demise come first, he would have come to the same conclusion, in reverse. That is, I was also his backbone.

I believe that many widowed persons would feel the same about their relationships. This is not a self-limiting perspective, but rather one of empowerment in knowing that someone has touched your life in such a powerful way that you have essentially become one entity. Not literally, of course, since self-independence within the relationship is also important. That your partner has your back, though, enables you to go forth with dignity & courage.

& then he/she is gone, & we are left behind to pick up the pieces. Attempting to recoup with a hole in your heart is not an easy process.

At this point I will apologise to newly widowed people who may read this blog in time, & who are looking for relief from grief, since I have to openly admit that widowhood still sucks, even almost five years on.

In another vein, I have no intention of discussing aspects of my LOML's death in full herein, since there is a malevolent person on the periphery of my life who distorts all that I say & do, to advance her own agenda & self-worth. No, I'm not paranoid, but fully aware that some person/s that come along (uninvited, in this case) on this tragic ride, are more self-interested & hostile than empathic.

However, I have begun a memorial anthology which I will share in time.

So that's it for now. I shared a wonderful relationship - most of the time, it was not always a bed of roses - with a wonderful man who fulfilled me. I miss him every minute of every day.

5 comments:

  1. it is so hard to be newly widowed in search of answers when those who are further into their journey know their are no answers. the one thing i have found in reading other's blogs is that commonality of lingering sorrow that proves to me i am normal.

    i am sorry to learn that there is evil in your life, but then i do not believe any of us get through life unscathed. i know how cathartic writing can be. i hope it does not cause you problems. i always liked the saying, "it's not paranoia if they really are out to get you."

    i look forward to reading your writing. i wish you peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to getting to know the LOYL and send you light and peace x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments, wNs & Boo. To think that I have digested your many poignant words over all this time, & now you are present on my blog with me!!! I am humbled x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad we all have each other here. Like wNs I am grateful that you are writing - I know how much it has helped me and hope so much that it affords you the same. Connecting with others in loss is sometimes the only way we have of receiving the gift of empathy, we can cheer each other on and soothe each other too xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm impressed that many of you have connected in such a meaningful way. As I read your blogs, I sense a sisterhood between many of you (including with Dan, hope he wouldn't mind the feminine reference this one time). That you each have each other's well being in your hearts is most comforting x

    ReplyDelete