Saturday, 12 March 2011

Slow beginnings

Despite being widowed for several years, I've not really felt inclined to share my thoughts on the process until recent times. I've been reading beautiful and heart-wrenching sentiments from members of the widowed community over many months & like many others who have commented, these eloquent accounts have seen me nodding in agreement & shedding many tears.

These authors have already described integral components of my story. For example, several writers have covered extensive topics such as
  • the unique needs of the widowed, newly or otherwise;
  • the comments & suggestions of family, friends & acquaintances (both positive & negative);
  • the burdens of functioning alone in a financial/practical/psychological sense across all spectrums of life;
  • the aloneness in the midst of others;
  • the commonalities with other types of loss;
  • the uniquely different characteristics of spousal (insert all other couple relationship types here) loss compared to other types of loss;
  • the validity of all types of loss; 
  • etc; etc
Moreover, these thoughtful, & thought-provoking accounts of personal experiences of widowhood, in concert with the active communities of the widowed, have given us validity & voice. If I had to choose an era to be widowed in, it would be now!

However, I didn't choose widowhood - it chose me.

The LOML (love of my life) & I had been a couple since I was 15 & he was almost 17. At the time of his death, we had been married for 34.5 years & were together several years prior. He had a congenital heart defect, had endured several open-heart surgeries, & was subjected to constant TIA's (mini strokes). When he was feeling well, he renovated our first home; built us a lovely house from the foundations to the roof, including all of the interior fittings; made stand-alone furniture; landscaped gardens for all six houses we have owned; helped out in his family's business; built a canopy for his father's boat; took care of all maintenance items around our home, my parents' home & his family home; ensured our children's vehicles were all repaired & maintained.

In 2002 he was diagnosed with a Stage 4 melanoma. He had a minor stroke which saw him hospitalised in 2003. His heart finally failed him in 2006. My life will never be the same.

6 comments:

  1. Hi there, you do have a blog! And it's new :-) I am your first follower which is cool ... I shall look forward to your posts and keeping in touch. I'm so sorry about your pain and loss - to lose your husband is such enormous humungous hurt.

    I love that you state that you will do this your way. It is your loss, your grief, your time, your way. Absolutely. Peeps that haven't walked in your shoes have no right to judge. I call them the untouched (and was one of them 2 yrs and 2.5 months ago, but I like to think I had more empathy than some).

    Speak soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Boo. I wish I had a prize for you, since you are my first follower:) I have been reading your blog somewhat compulsively for a long time. I am the one who has received the prize, though, of reading of your amazing account of your enduring love & life with Cliff. Thank you for your words, both there & here x

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am glad you have started writing. it is always a blessing to be able to get to know someone this way. writing is so intimate. it is like slowly pulling the curtain aside to see the wizard of Oz on the other side. i hope you find it cathartic as i do, as so many others do. sometimes we have to reach way out to find our Marlene Dietrich friends, the ones who are empathic, the ones who have been touched by death.

    i look forward to more of your postings. but most of all, i wish you peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wNs, so pleased you have dropped by. & thank you, also, for inspiring me to write x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Widow in Oz - so glad to have you in this blogosphere. My husband Tom passed in 2004 after a stroke. Welcome - write a way! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Suzann. Pleased to be here x

    ReplyDelete